Wednesday, September 16, 2009

On Elusive Self-Discipline

Discipline and consistency have been very elusive in my life. Because of this, I continue to struggle with an identity and self-esteem crisis even at age 33. As Stephen Covey puts it:

"...if you don't know yourself, if you don't control yourself, if you don't have mastery over yourself, it's very hard to like yourself, except in some short-term, psych-up, superficial way.
Real self-respect comes from dominion over self, from true independence."
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

Too frequently I choose emotions over principles, impulses over commitments, pleasure over very necessary hard work. I simply haven't developed my self-discipline "muscles" enough. I'm sure we all struggle with this, but my lack of self-control impacts every aspect of my life.

We often believe that our goals and desires will be fulfilled at some distant, undefined, "fuzzy" time in the future; that we'll get ourselves "together" enough someday and somehow - magically - do whatever's necessary to achieve the desired result. But, that's utter nonsense! The hard work and discipline must begin now! It must be applied to all facets of one's life in order to live life with integrity and self-accountability. We simply cannot accept anything less than our best each and every one of the very limited days we have on this Earth. Make sure you commit yourself to working every day on the things that matter most to you - those things that will, incrementally, get you one step closer to where you want to be.

- Pete

No comments: