Thursday, January 22, 2009

Day 17 - Serious "Bonking"

DAY 17/90
Phase 1, Week 3, Routine 3
Shoulders & Arms
Weight Loss Stats:
Weight 295 lbs - Loss 6.6 - %Loss 2.2%

--------------------------------------------------

Once again, I have lost that miserable pound. I wasn't even excited about it this morning because I'm sure I'll regain it tomorrow. I spent the day investigating if I'm eating too few or too many calories. I even went to the forums in search of help/advice. Here's the post I made:

{Here are my stats:

BMI = 35
BF% = 34.7% (Obese Class 2)
Wasit/Hip Ratio = 1.11 (High Risk)
Height = 6'2"
Weight = 296.2 lbs

My weight has been stuck at exactly 296.2 pounds for over a week now without fluctuating. I even checked the scale to be sure it was still working properly.

I count my calories religiously and weigh and measure everything I eat.

I consume 2700 kcals per day which I thought was very low.

Based on the Harris Benedict Formula, my BMR = 2620 kcals. The formula predicts that if I were sedentary I should consume:

2620 x 1.2 = 3100 kcals and, if I were moderately active, 2620 x 1.55 = 4000 kcals.

It defines moderately active as doing moderate exercise 3-5 days/week. I actually train 6 days a week and do cardio 7 days a week which I wouldn't describe as "moderate."

I know the HB Formula overestimates calories for the overweight, which is why I based my daily cals on the "sedentary" recommendation and subtracted 400 calories from that.

So what gives? Why is my weight not going down? I've been told that I could be putting on muscle, but I think someone as big as myself should be experiencing a net loss of weight (I should be losing fat faster than gaining muscle).

I feel great and healthier than I ever did before. But the scale (and the measuring tape) seem not to be moving much and it's frustrating the heck out of me. I think if I don't hit my goal weight this week, I'll cut calories down further.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.}

Most of the replies were along the lines of, "Hey dude, you're not eating enough. You've slowed your metabolism to crap."

I've thought about this and I believe that it's too soon to halt the metabolism like that. I mean, I'm only 2 1/2 weeks into this diet. I believe it takes a little longer for the metabolism to slow, especially after shocking a body unused to diet and exercise.

Well, regarding today's training and diet, things went well except for seriously "bonking" after today's workout. I felt so tired and light-headed that I had to lay on the floor for 15 minutes afterward before mustering the strength to get up in order to get some food/energy in me.

I even tried doing the Carido X workout (in place of my nightly run/walk on the beach due to "frigid" 50 degree weather in South Florida :0) but I couldn't even get past the first minute; I was spent, tired, worn-out. I called it quits right there. In fact, it's been a few hours since as I write this, and I still feel light-headed!

No comments: